Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Long time no see

It's been quite a while since I wrote anything in this blog and I could blame it on a busy summer, but that would not be entirely true. So let's sum it up real quick:

Last time I was active was during the last part of April. In May I "graduated" from my one-year-education with top grades and moved back to my former city for the summer. During July (and in August for sure), I found out that I got accepted to one of the eleven educations I applied to. Unfortunatley I didn't get my first choice of game programming, or my second choice of game graphics, but will now instead study "digital games" for three years and earn my "Degree of Bachelor of Science, with a Main field of study in Media Technology". Not a 100% game programming education, but I can still use it to become a game developer, which is my goal.  I've got a new apartment but can't move in until September 1, which also happens to be the very same day my education starts, so moving across the country (I will move even further away from my home town this year) and unpack all the furniture and start the education all in the same day will be a bit tricky.

From time to time I've had a lot to do this summer, but for the past few weeks it's actually been a lot of gaming since most of the more "serious" stuff has already been taken care of. My brother showed me a game named "Banished", which I had never heard of before. According to it's own wiki page, it's a "city-building strategy game for PC", which is a fair description. Think Age of Empires, but without the war part. You start out with a small settlement and from there you can build pastures, orchards, forest huts, hunting huts, gathering huts, houses, blacksmiths, mines, hospitals, etc.. You get the picture. Transform your settlement into a thriving metropolis but make sure to have a way to survive the plague/winter/ fire or other disaster that may strike your settlement. When you've reached your goal with the city/village/continent there's a bunch of achievements for you to get if you've ran out of ideas with your map. I think it's a really fun game and I've probably spent a lot more time on that game alone than I should (sorry, League of Legends). I have actually only played LoL a handful of times this summer, even though I was thinking of starting a serious 5v5 team in May. Guess I haven't felt like playing it as much as I pictured.

Well that's basically my life summed up, from May until now. I have 1½ weeks left before the move and I think I'm going to spend that on hanging out with friends, playing some games, maybe squeeze in a little more blogging and, of course, do the final packing. Most of my stuff are still in boxes and I pretty much just have to pack kitchen stuff, clothes, and my computer so that shouldn't take too long. Actually I'm half-way through that too.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment